mplayer sound stops: solved

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri Jan 28 15:13:02 EST 2005

For whoever it was recently that was running mplayer and hit something on
the keyboard and sound stopped and didn't start again when you restarted
mplayer: it just happened to me. I forgot what console I was in and typed
my login name "chomiak" and hit enter. Mplayer stopped; the errors were
about mplayer being stopped by a signal with references to pa module and
play-audio and enable-cache; can't reproduce the errors for you because
I'm now running Pine in that console and didn't copy the messages first.
guess this is my day!
At any rate, one or more of the keys I pressed apparently both turned off
(muted) and lowered the volume to zero on pcm. I don't know if it changed
any other mixer settings; I unmuted and raised alsa and mplayer is now
working. So be careful what you do while in the console with mplayer, and
if it stops suddenly or becomes silent and it's not the file you are
listening to, check your mixer settings.
Hope this helps somebody.

--
Cheryl