Dectalk USB mini-review

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 19:41:40 EST 2005

Well, I just received my Dectalk USB yesterday.  I ordered it last week,
since I'd been limping along with software synthesis for several months
after purchasing a new computer.  So, here is a sort of mini-review of the
unit.

The synthesizer itself is somewhat smaller and lighter than the old
Dectalk Express.  It does not contain a rechargable battery, but instead,
comes with a removable plain old 9-volt battery.  The documentation
indicates that you can only get an hour out of the battery, so it's pretty
useless.  I'd advise saving the battery for the next time your smoke
detector needs one and forget using it in the Dectalk USB.  It can be
powered either through a computer's USB port, or a normal wall wart.  The
device does not have the word "DecTalk" in Braille on the top as the
Express did.  It does, however have the thumb wheel which serves both as
power and volume control.  Like the Express, it clicks off if you turn it
all the way to the left.  When it is powered on, it says "Dectalk USB
ready."

In addition to the power/volume thumb wheel, there is a small switch
behind the headphone jack.  This switch selects either serial or USB mode.
When the switch is flipped towards the headphone jack, you are in serial
mode.  It comes out of the box with the switch set away from the headphone
jack, meaning that it defaults to USB mode.  Of course, you need serial
mode for Linux.  Even in serial mode, the supplied USB cable can be
plugged into a USB port to supply power if you don't feel like using the
wall wart or the useless battery.  The back of the synthesizer sports the
USB and serial connectors, and the jack for the wall wart.

As for the synthesizer itself, it sounds very similar to the Dectalk
Express.  However, it does use the newer speech engine from Fonix, which
has a few little quirks.  For one thing, it seems to pronounce a lot of
words with short o's as if they had an ou sound.  It sounds like it is
saying "boudy" instead of "body."  It also doesn't handle those demos
which make the Dectalk sing.  This is a pretty useless feature, but it
does suggest that it may handle commands slightly differently from the
Dectalk Express.  The voices sound slightly different as well.  It's not
as painful as the Dectalk run time 5.0, fortunately.  I still prefer the
older software, however.

Some of the other problems I've observed could be Speakup-related.  For
example, I have both the Dectalk Express and software synth compiled
directly in my kernel.  I've used the appropriate append line in lilo.conf
to select the Dectalk at boot.  While Speakup finds it, I cannot mute it
during boot with a keypad enter until fairly late in the boot process.  I
have to listen to a lot of boot messages before it will work.

The second problem, is that if I start reviewing the screen too quickly,
the speech will suddenly slow to a crawl.  I have the speakupconf utility,
and have to do a "speakupconf load" to restore it.  Lastly, it has the
same problem as other Dectalk models where words with apostrophes get
pronounced as if the apostrophe were a space.  This seems to be a Speakup
bug.  So, I'm wondering if others using Speakup with a Dectalk Express
have noticed these problems, or if they are Dectalk USB specific?