some progress with debian

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Wed Jan 19 16:52:44 EST 2005

I managed to get debian to a state where cdrecord recognizes my cd burner.
I have a goldstaar atapi cd burner and had tried using modconf to install
sg and ide--scsi and had hdd=ide-scsi as part of the lilo append line.
That didn't work at all even after having made the devices for the drives.
So I removed all the scsi stuff from the kernel and ran lilo and rebooted
the computer.  Then I edited /etc/modules and put those modules in that
file.  On next reboot drives were recognized and cdrecord -scanbus now
shows the cd burner along with the zip disk.  Why doing it this way even
worked at all I don't know.  Now it's time to go and sort out alsa.