An Accessible Adobe Reader for Linux

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jan 11 20:21:59 EST 2005

Hi Janina --
I tried sending this once before but it bounced due to message size...
But as for gnome:
That is interesting about the query capabilities of the gnome interface --
but I disagree that implementing a full ncurses, text-only representation
based on these queries is necessary, as that would just require a lot of
useless code to do screen layout of text when graphical screen layout has
already been done by gnome, right? Actually, some users don't know this, but
with MSAA, the in MS Internet Explorer for example, the screen reader
queries the browser for the relevant text and label info for speech and
braille purposes, but lets the browser continue to display whatever pictures
and even animation happen to be on the page.  Of course, there are still
some things that aren't accessible, such as some messaging apps and also
text that continually updates that drives screen readers crazy, but the
effect is that a sighted person can come to a browser session and see and
describe a picture at the same time the blind person is hearing the alt text
spoken by the screen reader.
I know that as long as visual effects are possible, new and innovative
applications will come out that will trash a screen reader, and screen
readers will have to play catchup for accessibility, but it is still nice to
know that you don't have to construct your own text screen in order to
access a gui -- all you need is information hooks to get useful data.
If I ever get this machine up and running -- and I don't even have the pc or
the hardware synth yet -- I will probably look more into such things.
Meanwhile, enjoy!
Take care.
--le