An Accessible Adobe Reader for Linux

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jan 11 10:29:33 EST 2005

Hi -- thanks for the link -- I'll take a look -- but as for MSAA, the
library implementation is proprietary to Microsoft, but the interface is
not -- in fact the library is available for use in any windows app, whether
developed on linux or whatever.  In fact I have heard firefox is using it
for its windows implementation.  I guess what I was wondering is if the same
or at least similar object library interface might be appropriate for use
cross platform.  Of course the underlying implementation would be different,
but the information passed to a screen reader -- say to recognize text boxes
and navigate controls on a GUI -- would be enough the same that the MSAA
interface could be used.
But now that I think of it, Microsoft I hear is going another direction with
respect to accessibility, so that MSAA may become obsolete for windows in a
a year or two.  Ah the joys of competition...  Perhaps they are thinking of
grabbing business away from the screen reader companies??? they deny it but
if they are removing MSAA I assume there is a reason.
Take care.
--le