Software Synths

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jan 10 12:04:31 EST 2005

hanke at volny.cz writes:

> But till then, or till somebody develops some other decent screen
> reader (I would especially welcome an effort to develop a user-space
> screen reader), I can't recommend using speechd-up unless there is
> no other choice.

I'm not convinced we need another "user space" screen reader. Between
yasr, and Suse's screen reader, plus the accessibility provided by
emacs with speechd-el, and especially by emacspeak, I'm just not
convinced.

On the other hand, abandoning Speakup would be a severe blow to many of
us. That would be a step backwards, a serious step backwards. Of course,
software speech through Speakup will never provide the level of access
available through hardware synths.

> I'd especially like to bring the speechd-el and Emacspeak approach
> to your attention as a possible partial solution. You can find out
> more about speechd-el on http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el
> and about Emacspeak on http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net . I think this
> approach is much better in many cases. On the other side it can't substitute
> Speakup in providing speechd during boot/shutdown and when you run
> into problematic situations.

It also requires more learning from the user. That's not a bad thing,
but it must be acknowledged.