Kernel Compilation

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Sat Jan 8 12:15:29 EST 2005

yeah. what you could also do is rename your current kernel
/boot/vmlinuz to something like /boot/vmlinuz-2.4 and make the new
kernel vmlinuz-2.6. then you could configure your lilo.conf so you
have two configurations. one for 2.4 and 1 for 2.6. therefore if 2.6
doesnt work you can always boot 2.4.
so after you run make modules_install do cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6, then edit your lilo.conf and rerun lilo.
On Sat, Jan
08, 2005 at 12:00:49PM -0500, ace wrote:
> Thanks, Alex.  Now, what all should be backed up before I install a new
> kernel?  Would I be fine if I just back up /boot?
>

> At 09:12 AM 1/8/2005, you wrote:
> >Hi.
> >Yes slackware 10.0 is full 2.6 ready. the latest 2.6 kernel (2.6.10 I
> >think) should run fine.
> >
> >The way I usually configure kernels is with make menuconfig. That's a
> >much nicer interface then make config. just go through each catigory
> >and make sure what you need is selected. much easier then answering
> >all those questions from make config. so the steps you follow after
> >patching speakup in (I assume you know how to do this) are:
> >cd /usr/src/linux
> >make mrproper
> >make menuconfig
> >make dep
> >make modules
> >make bzImage
> >make modules_install.
> >On Sat, Jan
> >08, 2005 at 01:58:19AM -0500, ace wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am running Slackware version 10.0 freshly installed.  I have a few
> >> questions.  I've installed Linux on a few older computers but did not
> >have
> >> the chance to really mess around with it bc those systems sucked.
> >>
> >> Firstly, I am aware that Slackware 10 comes with kernel 2.4.26.  Will it
> >> work with the latest 2.6.X kernel if I download it from kernel.org and
> >> patched it with the latest Speakup sources?
> >>
> >> I have never successfully compiled a kernel before.  Last time, it was on
> >> my friend's box and I severely screwed it.  What are the steps one must
> >go
> >> through to compile a kernel?  Must I pay attention to each individual
> >> option that the configure script asks?  There are over hundreds it seems
> >> and I can barely understand any of them.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any information.
> >>
> >> Robby
> >>
> >> Network Administrator of
> >> irc.talkingirc.com
> >> http://www.talkingirc.com

> >--
> >Look, I'm about to buy me a double barreled sawed off shotgun and show
> >Linus what I think about backspace and delete not working.
> >        -- some anonymous .signature

> Network Administrator of
> irc.talkingirc.com
> http://www.talkingirc.com

> > Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
> > should use Linux over BSD?
>
> No.  That's it.  The cool name, that is.  We worked very hard on
> creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
> certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be able
> to say "OS/2? Hah.  I've got Linux.  What a cool name".  386BSD made the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical.
	-- Linus Torvalds' follow-up to a question about Linux