speakup and serial hubs?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Jan 6 19:15:54 EST 2005

There is always the USB to Serial converter option.  I just got a Keyspan
USA 19H converter.  It connects to a USB port, and has a short cable with a
9-pin male RS-232 connector.  There is support for this contraption in
Linux, and from what I've read, Keyspan has been very supportive  of Linux.
I can successfully use Brltty to talk to a PowerBraille 80 via this device
once I re-built the kernel to support it.  It showed up as /dev/ttyUSB0.  I
have my doubts about it working with Speakup as a hardware synthesizer, but
I'd bet it would work with a Modem, or UPS.  They also make multi-port
versions.