Sound Card Suggestions

Chris Gray christopher_gray at symantec.com
Thu Jan 6 17:10:38 EST 2005

Hi Sean:

Thanks for the links and the alsa-project site is fascinating, even a
little overwhelming at first.  I've got lots to learn.

I plan to use a sound card for recording both voice and music, sound
editing, and as my synthesizer, at least for now.  I'll be using
brltty for a serial braille display so am not necessarily as concerned
as others might be about when speech kicks in, but I do want some
speech.  I could easily go out and buy an SB Live, but decided to ask
around a bit and see if something new and intriguing might be available.
My Sound Blaster card used under Windows is pretty old, but I must say,
it's midi is pathetic and the sound can be a bit hissy and sibilant!
Even improving that would be nice, especially for things I wish to
broadcast and/or edit.

Chris