hi Glenn

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 4 13:58:54 EST 2005

Ok, it is in your kernel, do modprobe emu10k or load it using modconf.  It is in
the kernel but not getting loaded.  If it is loaded properly you'll see it using
lsmod once you reboot or once modprobe loads it.  It will be in /etc/modules if
you use modconf to load it and that means it will load every time you boot up.
Sinse you are using the 2.4 kernel, you do have the option to use os sound if
you think using alsa and re-compiling is to complex right now.  Once your sound
card and alsa or os modules are loaded, install a mixer program like aumix and
make your non-root user a member of the audio group.  logout then log back in
for your group membership to take affect. the command to make yourself a member
of the audio group is usermod-G audio username, where username is your user
name.  There's aneasier way to do this in adduser but I can't remember the
syntax.