mplayer

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 20:25:27 EST 2005

The -playlist flag will work with .m3u playlists as well.  For example, it
works with ACB's radio Main Menu archives.  As to the questions about
showing tags, Mplayer seems to be incapable of showing tags in OGG vorbis
files, but will show them in MP3 files.  The -quiet and -really-quiet
options will lessen the output of Mplayer.  You can set defaults with the
file .mplayer/config in your home directory.  The man page briefly
explains this.  I have mine including the line "cache=1024" because I find
that streaming audio from slower web sites works better with this as the
default.  My only complaints about Mplayer are that I wish it would
automatically recognize playlists without requiring the -playlist flag,
and I wish that, when you paused and unpaused playback, the status line
would pick up where it left off rather than drawing a new status line.
What I mean is that you will still have the previous status line which
will be stopped where you paused the audio.  You could press the space bar
several times and have a screen full of old status lines.