devices in /dev

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Jan 2 09:50:51 EST 2005

If you're really into these things, Eric, you might want to start
somewhere like the Linux Documentation Project, http://www.tldp.org.
Perhaps you might start with the "From Boot to Bash Prompt" HOWTO
document for context? I really don't know a specific URI to point to
about device creation, management and its history on unix/linux.

I do know one thing, Fedora has recently moved to udev, and you might
want to drop that term into Google.