instalation problem-- was Re: fc3 download

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Feb 26 18:04:28 EST 2005

Unfortunately, this problem you've stumbled into is all too common,
especially for people installing for the first time.

If you already have Linux, you can run what's called an md5sum check on
the downloaded image files, and also on your burned disks. This is the
only sure way to tell you haven't mixed versions--and it's extremely
important not to mix versions as you've now discovered.

If you can't run md5sum, for example because you only have Windows now,
you can certainly look at the iso file byte size and date stamps. That
should indicate whether or not you've mixed versions.

I'm very sorry, but you'll need to get a complete set in order to
install successfully.