pine and sendmail problems

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Feb 16 21:23:36 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:16:17PM -0600, randy turner wrote:
> hi all,
> my isp changed there mail system,
> now i have to add my domain to my user name
> from what i am reading pine uses the user name from the system,
> well for  example i log in as rturner2
> now that worked fine when my isp did not require me to
> add on my domain name,
> i just created a new user and that worked fine,
> my isp wants my login for email to look like this
> rturner at texasisp.com
> because pine uses the $user and i can't create a new user
> with the domain added on to my user name,
> i don't know how to fix this problem.
> any ideas on how i need to configure pine or sendmail to accept this?
> thanks in advance
> randy

An entry in the `submit.cf' file for sendmail fixes this problem on my
system.  Here on Slackware, the file is at `/etc/mail/submit.cf'.  The
line to be searched for should be at about line 59, and should include
the text 'my official domain name'.  A couple of lines below this
line, enter a line which starts with 'Dj' (note the capitalization)
followed by your domain.  The important line entered in my submit.cf
file includes the domain of my ISP (sunset.net), and appears as
follows:

Djsunset.net

HTH, and have a _great_ day!

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light!
COSEC (x) / SEC (x) = (COTAN (x) / TAN (x)) ^ 2