spam: was Re: pine

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 19:31:01 EST 2005

From: "Hart Larry" <chime at hubert-humphrey.com>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: spam: was Re: pine

> Hi Janina-and-All:  Speaking of pine and spam, will spam asassin also work
> on messages in usenet news groups?  ESPECIALLY WHEN the same miserable
> messages are posted to many of the groups I read.

There is software to do a similar job, however unless you are running your
own news server/proxy, such as Leafnode, inn etc, it won't do you much good.
The best thing to do is use something other than Pine for newsgroup reading
(the filtering rules are a bit complex in Pine imho) and use the killfile
facility.  For some time I used Slrn with quite good results.  If you don't
use an nntp server, you'll also need slrnpull to get the news in the first
place.

Cheers.

Toby