Setting Dectalk USB to Factory Defaults

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Sat Feb 12 19:30:59 EST 2005

Hi.  If you started Gnopernicus from the
"desktop advanced settings accessibility"
menu, I suspect your problem is because Gnopernicus tried to initialize
a braille display on the serial port.  It will do this even if you are
already running Gnopernicus with braille disabled.  I've tried to file
a bug about this, but haven't managed to find a way to file a bug report
on the gnome.org site.
I've also tried to file a report using bug-buddy with no luck.

Try changing the default synth to "none, turning of and back on the
DECtalk, and then returing to the DECtalk as the default synth.

To change default synths, you echo a string to /proc/speakup/synth_name.
For example, the following will switch thedefault synth to "none" and
back to the DECtalk.

echo none >/proc/speakup/synth_name
echo dectlk >/proc/speakup/synth_name

Hope this helps.