Trouble with listen-up

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Feb 10 10:55:34 EST 2005

Sina Bahram writes:
> Well, if it's easy enough to crack ... Then cracking it and distributing
> binaries would be legal, I gather?

Are you joking? The illegality of breaking and entering a house doesn't
depend on the strength of the locks that protect it. In fact, it's still
"breaking and entering," even if there is no lock, as I understand
things--though perhaps some lawyer among us might clarify this principal
for us.

If redistribution is really illegal, than it's illegal regardless of
presence or absence of encryption.