upgrading a Slackware kernel

Stephen Clower steve at steve-audio.net
Thu Feb 3 20:26:46 EST 2005

Hello folks,

     Normally I wouldn't be asking this question, but since Linux-Speakup appears to be down indefinitely I could use some pointers. I am running Slackware 10.0 with the Speakup enabled 2.4.26 kernel compiled by Joseph C. Lininger. Currently, there is no software synth support in the kernel, so I figured that if I'm going to recompile the kernel, I might as well upgrade to 2.6.7 for the sake of being up-to-date.

     Normally I would download the kernel sources from kernel.org and run the Speakup CVS checkout script, but for obvious reasons this won't work. Consequently, I've decided to download the 2.6.7 kernel source package from a Slackware 10.0 mirror along with the Speakup-2.4.26 folder from the sources directory. Will I still be able to patch the 2.6.7 kernel with the Speakup source, or will there be something else I need to do?
Thanks,
Steve

Stephen Clower
Email/.Net Messenger: steve at steve-audio.net