backspace says nothing while in a command line using speakup cvs from Dec 28

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 1 13:53:55 EST 2005

I don't think I always had this problem with this version of speakup, but
speakup now isn't saying when I'm typing something from the shell prompt then
backspaceing over a character.  hitting the read current char key says nothing.
This doesn't happen when I'm using mutt to write an email with nano as the
editor.Before I call this a bugg, what parameters should I try to change in
speakup?  My synth is a bns and the kernel is a custom 2.4.27 with a distro of
debian sarge.