NTFS and Fat32 partitions was: RE: A question.

Darragh lists at digitaldarragh.com
Fri Dec 30 16:55:41 EST 2005

Most 2.6 kernels from what I gather will mount NTFS.  SuSE mounts it
automagicly to /windows/C.

To mount a fat32 partition from what I remember you should be able to use a
command such as the following:
Mount -vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/fat
Where hda2 is the partion and fat is a directory you've created in /mnt.

-vfat may just be vfat without the -. Again, I'm use to SuSE so using
Mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/fat will do the trick because it will detect the
partition type its self.

I think its SubFS that takes care of this.

To make this change permanent ad  an entry to /etc/fstab for your fat
partition. Same with your NTFS partition when you get it up and running.

There are some kernels with NTFS included but this may need to be activated.

To do this you will need your kernel sources installed.  These are usually
installed in /usr/src/linux or /usr/src/*your kernel version*

I won't go any further as I could write instructions  for doing this for a
long time but I'm not sure if they'd be of any use to you yet.

Enjoy, and if you have any more questions feel free to write to me.

Darragh