smooth kernel upgrade here

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Tue Dec 20 05:33:45 EST 2005

Just a note reporting good news for a change. I upgraded my 2.6.12
kernel yesterday to a 2.6.14.4 kernel without incident. Furthermore, it
compiled successfully with GCC 4.0. I know this is not quite cutting
edge, but it is as close as I want to get to it right now.

Since my Debian conversion a few months ago I have become fairly
comfortable with relying on package management tools, except for kernel
compilation, which I have not had the nerve to try yet. So this upgrade
was done the old way, fetching a source archive from www.kernel.org,
patching speakup into it from CVS, then doing a "make oldconfig" using
my (what else?) old config, then doing a "make", a "make
modules_install", a "make install" which included running lilo, and a
reboot. Up it came with everything intact, including software speech.

Once again my thanks to Kirk and all his helpers for making Linux not
only tractable, but enjoyable too. What better stocking gift could one
want?

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (80% of Full)
But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh