setting security bits on UNIX

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Apr 25 19:01:13 EDT 2005

For even more information, do a "man chmod" for all the gorry details on
file permissions.  Since you're dealing with a text file, you should
probably not need the execute permission on the file so then chmod 644
would be plenty adequate.  Note that chmod 644 would yield

Umask determines a default permission given to eny newly created files
under your current user account.