FreedomBox

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Tue Apr 19 10:12:09 EDT 2005

Actually it is not. There has been instances where companies have been
challenged because of their privacy policy, and the company has been
found to be in the wrong. So, it follows, that by not publicly
displaying your privacy policy, that the company is retaining the right
to do what they wish with the collected information. I have also been
told in the past that there are also some legal issues around privacy
policies and how they are to be displayed, in places with privacy
legislation. So, how is this any leap at all? Chris Gray wrote, "To
imply that one
suggests the other is, at best, a cheap shot." No Chris, This is simply
exposing how the lack of a publicly accessible policy can be, and often
is, exploited for business gains. By not publishing a privacy policy, it
is perceived that the company is hiding something, or is going to use
the personal information they have collected for their own gains. In
addition, by hiding the privacy policy, the company is not being
up-front with their existing and potential cliental.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.