linux windows dividing line

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Apr 17 15:11:25 EDT 2005

I think the dividing line between linux and windows is a simple question.
Did other people consider you a dos expert before you ever used windows?
If the answer is yes, linux is dos on steroids with an ethernet card
interface available on installation.  If no, the would-be Linux user if
they start up with gnome and gnopernicus can probably consider themselves
in on the ground floor where the screen reader community was with windows
say back in 1995 or maybe 1996.  The difference is, it wasn't necessary
for the developers of Linux to nearly be sued for them to start working on
accessibility.  Something that may be of some help for gnopernicus users I
read over on gnome-accessibility-list yesterday.  If gnopernicus goes
silent and it appears to be for no reason, you might try hitting
control-escape.  A user on that list does this pretty frequently and is
able to get gnopernicus talking a bit more.  I wonder if the <start> key
might also be used too since control-escape is what's sent out by the
<start> key also known as the <windows key>.