brltty and speakup

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Sat Apr 16 23:27:23 EDT 2005

Hi.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 05:41:37PM -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> I downloaded brltty in the hopes that my Pacmate braille display would work
> with it however, when I installed it it did not support the Pacmate
> display.  How do I make this happen?

What version of Brltty did you download?  The README in the
FreedomScientific dir of the Brltty 3.6.1 source says it will support
your display.

> Secondly are the right modules in the speakup kernel all ready to go when I
> want to add say festival or do I need to do some compiling?  I am using
> kernel 2.4.22 on the Sarge dist of Debian?

If you're still running 2.4.22, you will need to upgrade.  Sarge uses
2.4.27 or 2.6.8.  There's no reason why you can't upgrade to the latest
kernels, though.

> One last question here can someone refresh my memory as how to uninstall a
> package with dpkg I have forgotten?

apt-get remove package

Hope this helps.
          Kenny