permissions & ownership

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Apr 13 10:34:14 EDT 2005

Answers below;

Kyrath. (AKA Rob) said the following on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:24:00AM -0400:
> I recently ran into a problem caused by my bad habit of doing most things as root.  When I tried to run a program that was unpacked, configured, compiled, and installed as root, but then tried to execute it as a regular user, I discovered some permissions & ownership restrictions.

We all learn *smile*.

> 1. where should I be unpacking tarballs?  I have been doing it in
> /usr/local/src, but I'm unable to do so as a regular user.

What I just do is have under my own home dir a directory called src and
unpack there as my normal user. IE: /home/raul/src.  You could also just
go into /tmp and mkdir src and unpack there.  I do this because I'm the
only user on the box.

Tipicaly you would as a normal user do:

tar xzvf name-of-.tar.gz
cd dir-tar-created
./configure
make

Once you are ready to actually install then su - to root note the dash
in there and do make install from that dir.

> 2. My regular account has me as belonging to the users group.  Should
> this regular account belong to any other groups, perhaps reducing my
> need to use the root account as often?

You should be fine in most cases just belonging to users group.  In fact
I belong to the raul group of which I'm the only one in it.

--
-- Raul A. Gallegos - http://www.asmodean.net
-- Public GPG Key - http://asmodean.net/raul-pgp.asc