alsa in Debian using the stock 2.4.27 kernel wasRe: hello listers

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Wed Apr 13 07:14:06 EDT 2005

Hi.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:14:26AM -0400, Eric Kosten wrote:

> Kernel-package packages my 2.4.27 kernel?? Does this allow me to then keep
> an immage of the kernel for a "fall-back form"?

Yes.

> kernel immage being the 2.6.11.7 kernel source tree that I just downloaded??
> file name: patch-2.6.11.7.bz2

Did you download linux-2.6.11.7.bz2?
I believe the files from kernel.org that start with patch are used to
update an existing 2.6 kernel source of an earlier version to the new
version.  Since you are going from 2.4.27, you should download
linux-2.6.11.7.tar.bz2.

> This is rather confusing since I have built a total of 2 kernels and this
> with the help of a friend.

I'm guessing, but your friend probably built the kernel the way
described in the docs that come in the kernel source tree.  This will
work on Debian, but you will have to do some things manually that will
be done for you using the kernel-package program.

One example is if you used grub as your boot loader.  the "make install"
command doesn't understand Debian's grub, so you will have to edit
/boot/grub/menu.lst manually after you are done.  The kernel-package is
a Debian program, so it knows about Debian's grub.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny