trplayer in Debian

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Mon Apr 11 19:24:43 EDT 2005

Hi Adam,

Here is another one:

http://radio.cbc.ca/stream/aka-radioone28.ram

I have a collection of nearly 200 audio streams and after upgrading
mplayer to 1.0pre6, I went through the list and attempted to replace
all my trplayer invocations with mplayer, some with and some without
the -playlist option, and about 80 or 90 percent of them made the
swithc okay. But a few stubborn ones would not work. Maybe my codecs
are not current, not sure how long I have had them there.
On Mon, 11 Apr
2005, Adam Myrow wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo and Greg,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I use mplayer here already, but there are still
>> a few sites that trplayer/realplayer handle that mplayer cannot, so I often
>> switch from one to the other.
>
> Can you give an example?  I'd like to see if it's just a configuration issue,
> or perhaps, a bug in Mplayer.  One thing I learned the hard way is that
> Mplayer doesn't recognize playlists like .m3u, unless you explicitly use the
> "-playlist" option on the command line.  If you use that, it won't recognize
> normal files.  This seems to be a bad idea if you ask me.  It's worth noting,
> though.  another thing is that you have to have installed the Real audio
> codecs in the right place before building Mplayer, assuming you build it from
> source.  I'm not sure how the Debian package is set up, but I found that
> without the Real codecs in the right place, Mplayer won't play anything but
> very old Real Audio files, presumably with its built-in decoder.

"Things are in the saddle, and they ride mankind." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Visit my download site at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh