misc linux questions -- was: Re: A easier way to create cd's using easy cd creator

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Thu Apr 7 00:54:11 EDT 2005

Hi all --
With all the discussion of CD burning being so difficult on linux, has
anyone successfully burned a DVD?
I just purchased a pc with a DVD burner and hope to put linux on it, and it
would be nice if I could use the DVD burner -- not necessarily to copy
movies, but to store other things.
Just curious.  When it gets here I will be diving into the linux thing in
earnest -- up till now i have been lurking but haven't had a machine to work
with.

Also, I have a question about file systems and partitioning.
Someone on the list told me privately that you can't put 2 different file
system formats on the same hard drive -- such as fat32 and ntfs or whatever.
Is that true?  I have a large HD and wanted both linux and XP pro to be
accessible on that machine.  Can't I specify different file systems for
separate partitions?
Sorry if this is an inane question.  Disk format and file system specifics
is not my forte.
TIA