bash regular expressions

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Apr 6 02:35:39 EDT 2005

Your search strings are not in quotes, and are therefore interpreted
by the shell directly instead of by `grep`..  For this particular set
of cases, either single or double quotes will work.  For differences
in the single and double quotes which can make a difference in other
cases, see the man page for the shell you are using (most likely
`bash).  For the man page for `bash, enter the following command at
your system prompt:

man bash

Note that as I said before, the `bash` man page is somewhat lengthy,
but there is a lot of good stuff in there.  Here is an example of one
command which solves one of your problems--I leave the other problem
for you to figure out as an exercise:

grep -c "\." ./testfile.txt

HTH, and keep on learnin' :) .