Slackware upgrade woes

jim grimsby jimgrims at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 5 16:16:30 EDT 2005

Hi, well the debien modified cd is still using 2.4.27 this is one of my
problems with it.  Speakup is compiled in to this kernel and so if you
updated it to 2.6 witch you can do it does give you that option during
the install you will then have to compile speak up in to that kernel or
compile it as modules.  From what I understand and I am sure you know
better then I compiling it as modules means that you will not have to
worry about lucing speakup every time you update the kernel.  The
disadvantage here is that the modules load later in the boot process.  I
liked debien but was having a lot of problems with the kernel and with
packages getting corrupted.  Because they needed the later kernel to run
how ever if I updated to the later kernel I would have then needed to
get and compile speakup.  So I am leaning more toard them being compiled
as a module and then loaded as a image as described in the HOW to
Install the Speakup Modified Fedora Distribution document.  So if you
decide on debien you may wish to go that rout.  Hth