links 2.1 and elinks was Re: Slackware is dropping Gnome

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Apr 5 13:38:19 EDT 2005

Hi.

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 01:20:34PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

> I'm still on pre15; didn't realize newer versions came out that
> recently.  Has there been improvements to javascript support in these
> later versions?

There are several changes mentioned in the CHANGELOG file, but mostly
with other features and functions.  Remember, the biggest problem with
links 2.1 wasn't it's javascript, but not supporting other things like
cookies and http authorization.  Both of those seem to have been fixed
now.

> I may have confused things a bit.  Yes, it was spidermonkey I was
> thinking of.  I recall reading the various requirements to get
> elinks going and at the time, it seemed overwelming to me.  Maybe it
> isn't all that bad but for some reason, I thought I heard that
> spidermonkey had some strange quirks.  Is elinks that good a deal?

I like it.  For me, spidermonkey was just an apt-get command.  At this
time, I no longer use the cat except in some scripts I haven't updated.
The links 2.1 javascript is more complete, but elinks has
features not in links2.1.
I start out on a site with elinks and try links 2.1 if I have problems
with javascript.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny