Having accessibility built in to a program!

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 5 11:37:09 EDT 2005

jim grimsby writes:
> Hi, I changed the subject of the last thread because we have now
> straighed from the topic of web browsing.
> Ok it is true that making things accessible is a narrow line and should
> be done by experts for the most part.  I do not think I would want a
> programmer who has never worked with or met a blind person making my
> screen reading software.  On the other hand a programmer who does try to
> insure that a program is accessible from the get go is going to be a
> friend of mine.  In some cases such has web browsing having built in
> accessible features is a good thing.

Amen to that. You're right on the nose so far.

But, here's where you go wrong ...
> Lets take internet explorer on
> windows.

No thanks.

I mean this seriously. I don't mean to be trite or to blow you off in
saying this. The point is that the OSM, workaround architecture of
Windows is irrelevant. That's not how things work on Linux. You need to
recognize that much of the world you think you know is actually a
cultural bias you
learned as a result of the assumptions and procedures employed in that
particular environment.

Linux is not that environment, and Windows rules and assumptions do not
operate here.