what is orca

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Apr 5 10:08:01 EDT 2005

Hi.

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:02:48AM -0700, jim grimsby wrote:

> Yes, developmental.
> How well does it work so far?  Does it work better then gnopernicus?
> Where can one goto get it? Thanks.

I can't get it to run on my current Debian system, but I tried it last
year when I ran Gentoo.  I suspect my problem in Debian is something
Debian changed in bonobo, but haven't spent much time trying to debug
and fix.

Because of the nature of Gnome accessibility, it did a good job.
It doesn't have any review functions,and at that
time, it did a better job of reading a gnome terminal.  Gnopernicus has
sinced improved it's access to Gnome terminals.

The only way I know to get it is from CVS.  I noticed that not all of it
gets downloaded some times, so make sure you get the C code as well as
the Python code if you try it.

export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous at anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome'
cvs login
cvs co orca
cvs logout

I know this could probably be done with fewer commands, but I'm lazy and
just pasted my getorca script from last year.

If nothing else, orca convinced me the biggest problem with Gnome
accessibility is probably Gnopernicus and not actual Gnome
accessibility.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny