upgrading slackware with swaret

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Apr 4 19:54:27 EDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Sean McMahon wrote:

> So the slackware upgrade tool won't upgrade itself?  Another reason I guess why
> I like my favorate distro.

I've done upgrades with upgradepkg, which is part of Slackware.  The first
CD usually has a file called "upgrade.txt" which explains the procedure,
but it's a fairly manual procedure.  Slackware has always been closer to a
"do it yourself" distribution than others.  I usually prefer to wipe out
everything and do a clean install, then restore what I need from backups.
I find that if I don't, I end up with a lot of crud I no longer need.  For
example, older versions of Slackware didn't have GPG, so I had installed
it myself.  It was easier for me to just start over rather than upgrade
over the top of the existing system, then try and remove the old GPG files
from my own build.  Similarly, Slackware now includes a program called
pinepgp, which is a GPG/PGP filter to be added to Pine.  I had previously
used one called Magicpgp, and when I did a fresh install of Slackware
10.1, I dumped Magicpgp and switched to Pinepgp, which has a nice install
script.  So, I don't mind doing things manually, because I got started
with Slackware, and when they made Speakup part of their standard install,
I decided to stick with them.  I suppose that if I'd started with Redhat
or Fedora, and gotten used to it, I'd be annoyed at Slackware.