Slackware is dropping Gnome

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Sun Apr 3 21:47:52 EDT 2005

Hi -- I actually disagree as there are many blind users of windows who use
the MS Office apps heavily, by necessity, who would benefit greatly from
gnome based versions of these apps -- or at least gnome versions that can
process the same file formats so that the documents are portable.
Also, a lot has been done with blind access to UML diagrams and such used in
OO programming, and it would be nice if these types of tools were available
on linux/unix for used by a workplace with mixed blind and sighted
employees.
Anyway before I get in too deeply, I have not yet tried gnome or
gnopernicus.  And the culture of the speakup list is to go text instead of
graphical, but since I spent so amny years resisting that awful monster
windows from invading my space only to switch to jaws/window yes and windows
when I lost my vision finally, I do think the work on gnome is a good thing,
not to replace speakup but to have that in the works for handling new
advances as they come out, even if the interface is graphical.
Off box...*smile*