Slackware is dropping Gnome

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Sat Apr 2 13:58:17 EST 2005

Hi.

I agree with you.  My Gnome is mostly Debian packages.
Unfortunately, I have some problems that are probably Debian specific.
Because I didn't build from "official CVS sources", I'm on my on
to figure them out and fix them.

My biggest example is the help system crashing.  When it crashes, I am
forced to either ssh into the box from another system and start killing
processes or hard boot the box with the crashed Gnome.  If the problem
was general, Debian would fix it.  But it only happens with Gnopernicus
and accessibility.  My sighted girl friend keeps the same version of
Gnome open for months at a time without the crash.
I suspect it is caused by a Debian patch to a lib,
but I don't know for sure.  It isn't easy to start replacing library
packages in Debian because of how Debian packages them.  Also, I don't
get any useful error messages so I don't know for sure what lib to
replace.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny