Mutt or pine and best configuration to use?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Apr 2 09:46:55 EST 2005

Well, you asked for opinions, so I'll give mine.

Learn mutt.

You've got some learning to do regardless of whether you choose mutt or
pine. If mutt seems more formidable, perhaps it's only because it's more
powerful.

Again, speaking only for myself, I used to use Pine. I used it for maybe
four or five years. Eventually, I could tired of the four-five
keystrokes it takes to delete a thread. I decided to put up with the
pain of learning a new mail client to gain things like the ability to
delete a thread in one keystroke. There were other reasons, but that was
the one that tipped me into mutt. I am not sorry.

So, if you take up mutt, perhaps the most important blind friendly tweak
is the following in your ~/.muttrc:

set arrow_cursor                # use -> instead of hiliting the whole
line

You will need to set a similar function should you choose Pine.

You can get my current .muttrc from my ftp site:

ftp.rednote.net

Once there, you need to:

cd goodies/system/user

Good luck.