Linux and data storage?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Sep 30 17:55:00 EDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

> For me, one of the enormous advantages of saying bye bye to the
> Microsoft atrocities is the ability to forget about that distinction,
> text mode vs. binary mode. Data are compressed and uncompressed,
> uploaded and downloaded, without ever once having to give a second
> thought to those modes, which are nowadays only booby traps.

Really?  FTP still has ASCII mode and binary mode.  Furthermore, depending
on which version of Unix or Linux you use, the default will be different.
For example, Solaris 8 and earlier defaulted to ASCII mode when you
connected to another machine with FTP.  Solaris 9 and later default to
binary mode.  Thankfully, ncftp seems to have always defaulted to binary
mode.  Then, when you have to read a file produced in Windows or DOS, you
might have to convert the end-of-line characters.  All of this would be a
non-issue if everybody would agree on the same end-of-line convention, but
there seems to be this notion that making things incompatible will ensure
that nobody will switch from one OS to another.