Backing up multiple user data

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Sep 30 09:18:10 EDT 2004

Well, at this point I bow out. I only have the vaguest notion on this
question, and none at all yet regarding how tar and the b/gzip
compression algorithms interact. It's also not a question that casuses
an itch with me.

However, my vague notion on the garbage bytes you report at the end of
the archive must have to do, it seems, with how the various apps
recognize and act on eof messages. In particular, I suspect there'd be
no facility to roll back if a receiving process gets the data a little
late, since that might be far mor complex and dangerous than simply
tolerating a few extraneous bytes on the tail.

Might it be these represent empty encrypted tcp packets?