Backing up multiple user data

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Wed Sep 29 21:58:17 EDT 2004

Hmm.  Yes, you make a good point.  There is plenty of space for tar
archiving on the backup system.

The elements of what I need, would then be:

1.  client process to read all files (locking them in the process),
compress them somewhat on the fly (sort of as rsync does), and move them
through a TCP connection or FIFO.

2.  Program to create an encrypted connection between the client and
server, and accept its data on a redirected port, or via a pipe/FIFO;
doing the reverse for output on the server.

3.  Something very much like tar on the server, to receive, archive, and
lastly compress, the data.

Afbackup is a pita, so maybe I should look into amanda.  Those are the
only Linux mainstream textmode backup apps of which I am aware.

Luke