Backing up multiple user data

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Sep 29 20:06:36 EDT 2004

Take another look at the tar docs. You got me curious, so I went and
looked and found that you can specify:

[HOSTNAME]:f when you specify the tar archive filename target.

I tested it and got:

#tar cjpf 192.168.177.2:test.tbz janina+paula.jpg
minuet.rednote.net: Connection refused
tar (child): 192.168.177.2\:test.tbz: Cannot open: Input/output error
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
[root at concerto 20:04:18] pet#

So, there is a way. Obviously nothing is listening on Minuet, but that's
just a matter of learning how to set it up. Clearly, tar on concerto
tried to establish a connection--and even obtained the remote HOSTNAME
from the ip address.