Backing up multiple user data

Luke Davis ldavis at shellworld.net
Wed Sep 29 17:17:10 EDT 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Igor Gueths wrote:

> How much of a backup of the system do you want to keep on the server?

All of it, if possible, although easily reconstituted binary files could
be left out, although this is not strictly necessary, so all of it.

> Also, are you intending that users are going to use the backups or

No, never.  This would be administrative only.  The backups would only be
used, if moved back to their original locations, on the original system.

> something? Bc what you could do in that case, is copy the old
> passwd/shadow files from the machine in question to the backup
> server...And of course do it using something like scp. And then use
> tar/rsync to preserve the owner/permissions. Again, I can't be more

That would still require creating all of the client users, on the server,
which isn't an option, unless all else fails.  Tar would work here, but
the drawbacks to that, are specified in my last message to Janina.

Thanks

Luke