configuring sound in debian using a 2.4.27 kernel

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Tue Sep 28 18:15:13 EDT 2004

I have these mp3 files which wouldn't play when I tried to play them with
mpg321.  mpg321 reads the file and gives me the id3 tag information,
title, artist, album, etc.  However it then quits with an error stating
bad libio driver.  When I ran modconf, it wasn't able to install the
emu10K module for creative.  I don't know if that's necessary here or not.
 So my question with this is how do I configure my creative s1371 card or
how do I get mpg321 to play my files?  I'm not using alsa because I don't
have a whole lot of room .  Discover detects my card when I boot up.
PS. When I ran modconf it told me to ru dmesg and look at the output to
determine why I might be having the error installing the emu10k module. If
it will help me here, I'll send that along in another post.