Backing up multiple user data

Jack Mendez wiler1 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 03:03:33 EDT 2004

there are several ways to accomplish what you want to do, rsync has very
helpful documentation, I'd suggest reading the manpages for it however,
here are a few quick solutions
rsync -av will preserve all permissions on the destination  machine, and
you will need to make sure when transferring this back to use the same switch
if you are backing up entire file systems and are special files you need to
use the linkdest option so the files get transferred properly
additionally you can also backup remote file systems nfs smb etc, using
rsync but be careful about using permissions based transfers with this data
because sometimes particularly with windows based smb mounts, the rsync is
unable to preserve owner.

Jack