Linux and data storage?

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Sun Sep 26 23:09:25 EDT 2004

Hi Karen,

	Well, if you have a machine running DOS now, you have a machine that almost certainly would run Linux. The only two criteria that I can think of are 1) sufficient disk space to dual boot between Linux and your current OS and 2) a hardware synth that works with speakup.. For several years I ran Linux and Windows on one machine, booting Windows less and less often until recently I got rid of Windows on that machine altogether. Yes I do have another machine with Windows on it now but I didn't have a second machine for several years.

	You did say that you don't have the time to set up Linux. I understand that. It does take time to setup/learn. But you don't have to abandon your other os while you  do it. The time spent to learn to install/configure/manage your linux system is time that will pay rich dividends in the long run. On the other hand if you have someone else install/configure for you you still won't know how it works to be able to manage the system on a day-to-day basis.

	I guess it depends on what yu want. If you want to use the power of Linux, you need to know how it works to some degree at least. You really learn that by doing your own installation and configuration.

	If you or anyone wants to install linux on any system for personal use,  my suggestion  is to do the homework first, reading about the options available, methods of installation for your chosen linux distribution, etc. When you feel that you understand what you have to do, then go for it. the actual installation should easily be completed in an evening, after which you should still have your other os available if you want it.

	As I said above though, it depends on what you want... If you really want Linux that is the best way to go. If it's too much bother for you, then probably it's not worth your time and just carry on with what you have already.

	HTH,

	--terry

--

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(705) 422-0039
E-mail:	terry at wasaga.dyns.net

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.