Linux and data storage?

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sun Sep 26 20:50:59 EDT 2004

Karen,

You have two bottlenecks, seems to me. One is your connection speed, the
other is nettamer. You can use "tar" on your ISP's system to aggregate
those precious files into one archive, assuming you have the space, and
then move that archive somewhere. Nettamer could retrieve it with its
ftp facility, but it might take forever over a dialup link.

If you had a linux desktop, you could use an ftp client on your desktop,
call it "system A", to move files from "system B" to "system C",
assuming you had the necessary access permissions and such.

Also, you could email stuff to yourself with attachments, although
nettamer is a little weird about attachments, and then you have filesize
limits.

Finally, if you had a Linux desktop and a high speed connection you
would be home free. Just grab all those files quickly with an FTP
client, move them to your desktop, and burn them to a CD if you need to.

My Linux system uses two 40 GB disks, one of which is used extensively
to backup stuff on the other. Not exactly a raid system, but heavily
redundant. I do use CD backups too once in a blue moon.

Your DOS desktop has limited HD storage. A Linux desktop would not. I
have a DOS partition of 500 MB on each of my two 40 GB hard discs, just
in case, but have not booted into DOS in several years. For my own
situation, I cannot imagine ever being able (psychologically) to return
to DOS and Nettamer.

Chuck

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Hi all,
> This is an odd one, so I hope I ask it in such a way to make sense.
> I do not have a Linux machine.  I have been trying to get this, and thought I
> had one in the he works but it seems that party either made up the machines
> they were offering, or  for some other reason is not coming through.
> In any case, I do use a Linux shell service extensively.  I fear almost too
> extensively, as you will understand in a moment.
> The OS on the system i use mostly is dos, and I use nettamer to telnet to my
> Linux shell.
> In the workspace of my shell service i have a great deal of irreplaceable
> files and programs.  I eave them up here, for ease, but I just was reminded
> that this may be a venerable state of affairs.
> Fortunately when the server went down nothing was lost or so it seems, but I
> have a serious factor to consider.
> My question has two parts.
> first, is there a way to move large amounts of data stored in the workspace
> of a Linux shell service to another location in tact, with relative ease,
> and without taking all of the data on the entire system?
> second, if my machine was also a Linux one, would this kind of storage be
> easy to do?
> As I said before I do not have such a machine, but this has shaken me up
> enough that if a full Linux or Linux/dos or Linux/windows machine would give
> me some firm safe backup, I will have to start advertising for someone to
> build this for me and encurl the expense.
> I have too busy a professional life to do this myself, and would rather pay
> someone with the skills than lose valuable time trying to re-invent the
> wheel.
> Thanks,
> Karen

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (97% of Full)
Home page at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
Speakfreely address 24.105.197.112:2074