Linux and data storage?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 26 20:23:46 EDT 2004

Hi all,
This is an odd one, so I hope I ask it in such a way to make sense.
I do not have a Linux machine.  I have been trying to get this, and
thought I had one in the he works but it seems that party either made up the
machines they were offering, or  for some other reason is not coming
through.
In any case, I do use a Linux shell service extensively.  I fear almost
too extensively, as you will understand in a moment.
The OS on the system i use mostly is dos, and I use nettamer to telnet to
my Linux shell.
In the workspace of my shell service i have a great deal of irreplaceable
files and programs.  I eave them up here, for ease, but I just was
reminded that this may be a venerable state of affairs.
Fortunately when the server went down nothing was lost or so it seems, but
I have a serious factor to consider.
  My question has two parts.
first, is there a way to move large amounts of data stored in the
workspace of a Linux shell service to another location in tact, with
relative ease,  and without taking all of the data on the entire system?
second, if my machine was also a Linux one, would this kind of storage be
easy to do?
As I said before I do not have such a machine, but this has shaken me up
enough that if a full Linux or Linux/dos or Linux/windows machine would
give me some firm safe backup, I will have to start advertising for
someone to build this for me and encurl the expense.
  I have too busy a professional life to do this myself, and would rather
pay someone with the skills than lose valuable time trying to re-invent the
wheel.
Thanks,
Karen