need help booting a computer into speakup with an unresponsive cerial connection.

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Thu Sep 23 16:40:56 EDT 2004

        I have this computer where  my bns will not talk after I issue the
command to boot linux and the proper synth keyword.  The speakup boot
flopy recognizes the command because I hear the disk spin but my bns
doesn't talk.  I no it isn't the floppy because I had no problems when I
tested it on another machine.  Could this computer have its cerial port
disabled and if so, how would I check for that?  Is there something else I
could try entering from the boot prompt to get this talking?
Sean