GPG and Mutt Help Needed

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Sep 17 10:00:04 EDT 2004

I need some help with my GPG configuration in Mutt. I think I have it
working mostly. The rest might even be just a misunderstanding on my
part about how it should work.

I have successfully created a key pair for myself and submitted to the
key servers.

I believe my outgoing mail is being signed. If I haven't sent a message
for some time, I'm prompted for my pass phrase. That all sounds right.

And, when I receive mail I can even get messages about whether the
signature in the incoming message can be trusted, or not.

Alt-E always works, and Ctrl-K never does, in other words. All I get
from Ctrl-K is:

gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0
Press any key to continue...

Do I misunderstand? Shouldn't Ctrl-K extract the key in the email? And,
do what with it exactly? I guess that's where I'm confused. Shouldn't it
validate the key against the email address with one of the keyservers?

Or, do I have to go add each individual by hand to my keyring? Euch.
Argyh. Hope not.